Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Plotting a variable against time in paraview 4.1.0

Paraview is really awesome and I bet once you start using it you would actually love it. Few things have changed in the new version of paraview and some I, myself had issues in dealing with some of the features. So my professor told me to get a plot of a scalar quantity v/s time and zoinks!!!..I gave a yes nod , but when I actually went and tried doing it I wasn't able to locate the option for plotting it. So after spending a quality 48 hours I realized it was a bit tricky and there was no good link/ forum / user manual available for doing it. So make life easier for beginners and paraview lovers and my friends these are the steps of creating a plot a graph with time.

STEP 1.

Open your OpenFOAM or any other format that you wish to open in Paraview.

STEP 2.

View your geometry along any direction you wish to.

STEP 3.

Now click if your geometry is 2D, you need not worry. But if it's 3D I would suggest to make the opacity of your geometry to 0.7/0.6 and and take a cut section at that location.


STEP 4.

After this now the real change comes into picture. In all the older versions of paraview we had Selection Display Inspector for selecting a location in the geometry, which is disabled in the latest version. In place of which a new option is provided just above the user interface window..which has a small icon named "SELECT POINTS ON". Click on this.







STEP 5.

Now place the point in your desired location and now select PlotSelectionoverTime.

STEP 6.

Click Apply and then wait for some time. For simple simulations it may be work quite fast and you will get a plot of various quantities v/s time. But for complex geometries it may take a while as it may consume more a greater chunk of your RAM.

STEP 7.

This end up the plotting . Now label your axis and use these graphs for your Reports. Happy plotting... :) !!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment